Thursday, December 18, 2008

Peace in the midst of the unknown

There is so much to be said for peace. We all have different definitions of what peace is and how we obtain it. We all have days we long for it and days it seems there is none in sight. But the unknown can bring so much unrest and anxiety where it is a real struggle to allow peace to enter our hearts.
I am reminded of a verse in Philippians 4: 6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
It is true that God's idea of peace is not the world's idea of it. The study portion of this verse says, "true peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control."

Since the first of my miscarriages, I have struggled with anxiety and bouts of depression. This is not always easy to share. The more I talk to people I find how prevalent anxiety and depression is in our every day world. I know I am not nearly alone in these feelings and moments of pure "peacelessness", I know that is not a word, but you get the idea. I feel anxious over mindless easy tasks and then feel guilty for ever feeling that way to begin with. Such a nasty cycle.
But the peace that Paul is speaking of is not of the "good" feeling of peace, but the reassuring belief of knowing God is in control. There is really nothing more comforting to me than knowing this truth and being reminded over and over again by His word.

There is so much going on with Mark and I that can so easily bring me anxiety. Grief alone, not to mention the unknown of the future is a real struggle for me daily. Yet somehow, God sees it fit to bring peace to my heart, whether it's through an encouraging note from a friend or time spent alone with my husband, it is always just what I need. I am truly thankful for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so i have decided to start memorizing different passages & imprinting them onto my heart...so that when God wants to bring them to mind He can remind me of what His word teaches and how He wants me to respond. there is something so precious when He takes His own word and brings it to mind just at the right time. anyway, its slow going....but crazy enough...this verse is the most recent one. i shared this very verse with nathan after this last test. when i read what you wrote today i was so touched to see how He is able to respond...sometimes with the same parts of scripture to different situations in different peoples lives & His peace is the same no matter what. i love you!

Visitors