Sunday, November 16, 2008

My little girl

So, how can I really explain what life is like without sharing how God is using a little child to grow Mark and I daily. The last few days have been hard, thinking over the test results and just soaking it up, it takes over your whole mind if you let it.

We think that Kaylee does not understand what is going on around her, and then BAM, she says the most enlightened comment that neither Mark nor I could come up with on our own.
The day we discovered the baby's heart had stopped beating, we were sad and crying. Kaylee was with us in the ultrasound room and throughout the next several hours including the time spent talking with the doctor. Once things calmed down a bit, Kaylee was frustrated she had not been informed as what was making her parents so sad. She came up to me with the saddest little look on her face and said, "Mommy, is something wrong with you?" As I smiled and kissed her face, I told her that I had a baby in my tummy and now the baby is with Jesus. She immediately spoke up saying, "Don't be sad mommy, Jesus will give it back to you one day." I just smiled and told her how smart she was!

The day the doctor called with some of the test results, Kay was once again right with us, soaking it all up again. As tears ran down our faces, she reached for my hand and said, "Mommy are you so sad about the baby again?" As I shook my head she said, "Remember mommy, Jesus will give you the baby back one day."

The next day was very hard, one of the hardest I have had yet. I just wanted to stay busy cleaning the house and organizing this or that. It took a little act of complete comic relief to bring me back to earth and remind me that this child right in front of me is a gift to be enjoyed every day. As I was just getting in the shower, Kaylee came barging in the bathroom with her pants hanging by her knees telling me she had peed on the floor. I quickly hopped out soaking wet and with soap on my head still. I knew most likely she would need to finish on the potty.
Of course, my mind was still wandering at this point, and so I totally forgot about where on the floor she had peed. So about an hour later, I remembered and asked her to show me where it was she had peed. She brought me to a little corner in the family room where her doll's potty chair was sitting, (the potty chair was no bigger than a small cereal bowl.) As I reached for it I noticed she had tried to sit on it and filled it so high with pee that it spilled over onto the floor.
Needless to say, I was laughing so hard I had to run out of the room. I then explained to her that the potty chair was only for pretend and not for real people to use.

Thankfully, there is not a day that goes by where Kaylee does not brings comedy, wisdom, and pure fun to Mark and I both. We realize more and more each day what a pure miracle her life is and how truly blessed we are to be given her for a time. I know that all of our children, all 5 of them, were on loan to us from God. We never know how long we will have these little blessings. What I do know is that I will spend the time I do have enjoying Kaylee!

1 comment:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

Oh that is exquisite! I too try to seal those beautiful moments into my brain. It is all a gift, each breath, each sunset, the taste of chocolate.... amazing how we become entitled to all of them. I have switched to a season of thanksgiving, taking notice of each little thing that God has so graciously allowed me to have (or to experience). Today I am thankful for you. Who is helping me to see the abundance of living (truly living) in each moment. I love you Angie.

Visitors